I cannot believe it's been 10 years.
A decade.
I don't think anyone who was old enough to know what was
going on will ever forget exactly where they were and what they
were doing when the twin towers fell.
I grew up hearing my parents talk about how they remember
exactly what they were doing the day that JFK was assassinated.
But didn't really know what it meant to have something happen
that was so significant to you that you will forever
remember the details of that day.
It was the start of my Junior year of highschool.
I was 16 years old.
I had to be at school an hour early every day for drill team practice,
and then my first 'class' of the day was also drill team.
Toward the end of first period we were in the locker room and a few girls
were talking about how something had been bombed.
At the time we didn't even know that the 'bombing' had happened in the US.
I assumed it was somewhere overseas.
I didn't think much of it.
But once I got to my spanish class at the start of second hour it
became obvious that whatever happened was serious
and that it had happened here.
In America.
All the teachers were wheeling TVs into the classrooms and we
all sat absolutely silent watching the live coverage in disbelief.
In between 2nd and 3rd hour I called Roy to see if he was watching
what was going on.
Neither of us could believe this was happening.
I couldn't believe that at the very moment we were speaking that
this horrible trauma was occurring in our very own country.
My 3rd hour class was math. Our teacher had an adult son who lived
in New York. She was watching the TV with tears streaming down her face.
I felt so scared for her and her son.
For everyone.
For the entire country.
I'll never forget what happened.
Thinking of all those who lost their lives on this day.
Thinking of all those who lost loved ones on this day.

No comments:
Post a Comment