I've always loved to read, but some slow nights at work recently have re-ignited my reading-fever.
I don't have many prerequisites when it comes to picking out books...sometimes just a cool cover or the fact that I heard someone mention a title is enough for me to add a book to my reading list. Everything from science fiction to historical period novels & everything in-between!
A trip so Sam's club earned me 3 new books, 2 from Target, and I just got 5 more in the mail from Amazon.com
(thanks Alicia for introducing me to the wonderfullness that is amazon.com!)
Here's my list of books read so far this year:
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Saw the movie Kite Runner and bawled my eyes out. Knew I wanted to read anything else this author had written...did not disappoint. Tough subject matter but I totally loved it.
- Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon. This book was just 'ok' for me. A quick read no doubt, but it was a little more on the 'scary' side...aka..I couldn't read it at night. Also got a little confusing towards the end.
- One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus. Totally loved this book. Set in the late 1800's this book is written as a series of letters/journal entries. Loved the main character and her story.
- ROOM by Emma Donoghue. Loved this book too. Difficult subject matter as well, but told from the perspective of a child which is so endearing and interesting...have added 3 more of this authors books to my 'must read' list.
- Ape House by Sara Gruen. Same author as Water for Elephants, which I had really liked. This book was just ok for me...I didn't particularly love either of the main characters and it was well into the second half of the book before things started to get interesting. A quick read nonetheless...
On my 'To-Read' list...
-Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
-The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
-Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet by ?
-Red Field Farms by ?
-Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
-The Alchemist by Coelho
-The Divergent/Insurgent series
and 3 new books by Emma Donoghue: Slammerkin, Landing & The Sealed Letter
Any must-reads on your 2013 To Do list?!


No comments:
Post a Comment