Sunday, June 3, 2012

First Fridays!

I love making lists....
and even more than that, I love crossing things OFF lists!
This past Friday I was able to cross something
off my 'Summer Fun' list...yay!
Rachael, Alicia & I headed to downtown KC
for First Fridays! 
First Fridays occurs on the First Friday 
(duh...that may be stating the obvious) 
of every month...the basic premise is that all the art
galleries open their doors and people stroll around checking out
the art, listening to live music and just people watching in general.

And my oh my, was there some interesting people watching...
I'd probably have to give my awards for strangest sightings to the
3 performing drag queens and the 'zombie' march that went on
for 20 minutes....still not sure what they were 'marching' for, but
I think it had something to do with the whole 'occupy' movement...
hmmm, strange.
This picture doesn't really capture the bloody zombie-ness
that was staggering down the street...but it was quite the spectacle.

As far as the art goes....I'm just gonna sum it
up by saying that I either just didn't 'get' or didn't
appreciate probably a good 70% of the art we saw.
I mean...if I can scribble some acrylic paint on a piece of
cardboard the size of a 3x5 notecard and sell it for $250,
I'm just gonna have to leave nursing and become an artist.
That, paired with all the perverted sexualized art
was just a little too much...note to self: do not go to
First Fridays with my parents unless I want to be in
 the awkward situation of staring at naked people next to my dad...
ummm No Thanks.

Here's some art gazing caught on camera:
This cloud picture was the only painting I took
in the gallery with the awkward naked people--
Even though I think it was supposed to represent boobs 
I was able to stop blushing and pick my jaw up off 
the floor long enough to capture Alicia's reaction...

Rachael: "Are you freaking kidding me?!
they want $3,500 for this crap?" end quote

Interesting bird art made of wires...Rachael made the
comment that these would make an interesting mobile 
in a nursery (the girl has babies on the brain :)

Me: "Rachael! Quit moving I'm trying to take
a picture of you appearing to study the art!!"
Rachael: "oh, ok...here try again..."

Much better..

This was a really cool life sized horse made
out of metal. One of my favorite things we saw.


But what I REALLY enjoyed....was spending time with my
awesome friends. Despite the cooky people and art,
I'm so glad we went and carried
through with something that we've been talking about
doing for awhile now!  Roy has been so busy working
that I've been trying to find activities and make plans
to occupy my time....and theres no two people that 
I'd rather occupy it with than these two!!




What's next on my list for Summer Fun??

-Go to something at the new Kauffman Center
for the performing arts
-Go to a play at Theater in the Park
-Go to the city market on a Saturday
-Go to the 18th Street Fashion Show
-Have a bonfire and eat smores
-Give lots of love and hugs to Baby Clark when she comes
-Ride my bike more
-Go to Oceans of Fun or Schlitterbahns water park
-Spend lots of time pool side!!

Let the fun continue!!!




1 comment:

  1. You should revise your list so it doesn't look like you are slacking....I am pretty sure my friend Whitney was complaining there is NOTHING going on at the kauffman center this summer. I have no clue why they would not host more events there but attending something may have to wait until the fall. We should go to the city market after work this friday. I wanted to get some produce there too and we will already be downtown. When else would we wake up early enough to get down there before all the good stuff is picked over?

    ReplyDelete